Matheson's Healthcare Group comprises of dedicated healthcare litigators and advisers.
Our team fully understands the many complex issues that can arise in the healthcare sector. We offer a broad range of services to our clients, including defending medical malpractice, professional negligence and personal injury claims. We also advise on inquests, Medical Council complaints and on non-contentious issues such as the provision of advice on the regulatory framework in the healthcare sector.
- Advised in the successful mediation of a high value catastrophic sensitive medical negligence claim of a patient who suffered hypoxic ischaemic brain injury resulting in him requiring 24 hour care. This is one of the first clinical negligence litigation mediations in Irish history.
- Advised in the successful resolution of a challenging clinical negligence litigation which touched upon complex issues such as life expectancy and the real rate of return.
- Advising in a complex medical negligence claim involving multiple-defendants, third parties and over 40 expert witnesses in relation to a minor plaintiff who suffers from cerebral palsy/
- Advising leading corporates on the regulatory and licensing requirements governing healthcare related business activity.
- Advised in ground breaking judicial review proceedings taken against the Medical Council in which the Supreme Court ruled for the first time on the definition of ‘poor professional performance’, contained in the Medical Practitioners Act 2007.
- Advising in relation to the high profile ‘Grace’ Commission of Investigation established by the Oireachtas (Irish Parliament) to investigate the circumstances surrounding instances of child abuse in foster care.
- Advising the Irish Minister for Health on the design and implementation of an insurance based health system.