"Matheson impresses with its "breadth of expertise" that takes in "experience of international project finance and complex M&A transactions."
European Legal 500
Matheson’s Project Finance team advises on a wide range of complex projects. We specialise in large scale, award winning and market-leading projects for both private and public entities - covering oil and gas, renewables, water and waste, airports, roads and infrastructure development, SDZ projects, telecoms, social accommodation, healthcare and education related transactions.
Our Project Finance team acts for financial institutions, sponsors, authorities and contractors. Thanks to the diversity of our client base, we are able to anticipate and understand issues and provide innovative and robust solutions for complex deals. We advise all participants in PPP transactions, including governments, sponsors, funders, service providers and construction companies, across a broad variety of infrastructure and energy sectors.
Matheson's Projects Group comprises a core team of 25 dedicated projects lawyers, including five partners and the extent of our expertise is unrivalled in the Irish market. We are frequently mandated by domestic and international clients as well as the leading projects and project finance groups of the largest international law firms to advise on the most complex and challenging infrastructure projects. Our specialist teams are structured to ensure flexibility and timely output delivery against the tightest deadlines.
Our Projects Group comprises a core team of 25 dedicated projects lawyers, led by five partners.
Representative transactions include:
- Advising the lenders to Brookfield Renewable Power Group (purchaser of renewable asset portfolio from state monopoly Bord Gáis Éireann as part of the privatisation of Bord Gáis Energy) in relation to the acquisition financing of a 160MW wind farm portfolio.
- Advising the funders in relation to the project financing of a 89MW wind farm.
- Advising KFW IPEX – Bank and Allied Irish Bank plc in relation to the Schools 4 PPP project.
- Advising Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi in relation to the Schools Bundle 5 PPP project.
- Advising Macquarie Capital (Europe) Limited and its partners on its successful bid for the Schools Bundle 1 & 2 PPP projects.
- Advising AIB plc in relation to the Charlemont Street Redevelopment PPP project.
- Advising the Sisk Group in relation to the development, construction and financing of the Greystones Harbour PPP project (which included harbour re-development, public works as well as landside residential and commercial property).
- Advising e|net, in relation to the development, construction and financing of phase 1, and phases 2 and 3 of the Metropolitan Area Networks under a PPP concession with the Irish Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (as it then was).
- Advising short-listed bidders on the financing and development of six co-located private hospital facilities and provision of medical services on the sites.
- Advised a syndicate of investors in relation to the finance and construction of the €167 million Beacon Hospital, a 183 bed state of the art facility in Sandyford, County Dublin.
- Advising a syndicate of investors in relation to the finance and construction of a 260 – bed acute hospital adjacent to an existing private hospital.
- Advising a pension fund in relation to the financing (€320 million) of a high profile mixed use docklands development in Dublin.